12 Apr CLEAN BEAUTY
“Clean” beauty products – why are they important to our overall health? Let me first start by reminding you, I am not a doctor or a chemist or a scientist, I am simply a women who wanted to heal her body after going through a traumatic surgery and after researching how to heal, discovered how toxic every day products can be to our health.
I started to look at what I was putting in my body and what I was putting ON my body. I think we always tend to focus on what we are putting IN rather than ON and let me tell you, both are equally important IMO!
The scary truth is that there are very few regulations surrounding the beauty industry. The FDA requires no premarket review of the safety of cosmetics. Instead, the cosmetics industry is supposed to “self police” through its Cosmetics Ingredients Review Panel. Over the 36 years that this has been in place, the panel has rejected only 11 ingredients. In contrast, the European Union has banned hundreds of chemicals in cosmetics. Personal care products are manufactured with over 10,500 unique ingredients, many of which are known carcinogens, endocrine disruptors, known toxins and much more and it is LEGAL! So basically, if you want to create a skin care product and sell it on-line, go right ahead, there is not much stopping you!
Some common ingredients used in your daily skin care and beauty products:
- Formaldehyde – a popular ingredient used as a preservative in cosmetics. A known carcinogen that is also linked to asthma, neurotoxicity, and developmental toxicity. Present where quaternium-15, DMDM hydantoin, imidazolidinyl urea, diazolidinyl urea, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate, 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3 diol (Bronopol), and several other preservatives are listed. Found in: shampoo, body wash, bubble bath.
- Synthetic flavor or fragrance – An engineered scent or flavoring agent that may contain any combination of 3,000-plus stock chemical ingredients, including hormone disruptors and allergens. Fragrance formulas are protected under federal law’s classification of trade secrets and therefore can remain undisclosed. Found in: all types of cosmetics. * This is also why I use doTERRA essential oils instead of perfume or air fresheners!
- Toluene – A volatile petrochemical solvent that is toxic to the immune system and can cause birth defects. Found in: nail polish. ( I love Sundays non-toxic nail polish)
I am sharing this information with you to inform you and to encourage you to do your own research. It is in your power to make this decisions for yourself. Ive spent the last 5 years trying out non-toxic beauty care products. Most haven’t worked for me, but a lot have, so I wanted to share with you the ones I love in hopes you may love them too!
- Strange Bird – Inner Clarity Cleanser
- OSEA – Ocean Cleanser
- Tata Harper – Clarifying Cleaner
- Violets are Blue – Gentle Cleanser with white tea and carrot seed
- Sahajan – Radiance Serum
- BeautyCounter – Counter + All Bright C Serum (amazing for sun spots!)
- Strange Bird – Inner Balance Serum
- Tata Harper – Resurfacing Serum
- Roccoco Botanicals – Kiwi Seed Oil
- Roccoco Botanicals – Rescue Balm (I mix this with the Kiwi Seed oil – what a COMBO!)
- Sahajan – Nourish Creme Richie
- Beautycounter – Countertime Antioxidant Soft Cream
- Beautycounter – Counter + Charcoal Facial Mask (Mix with Honey when applying)
- Roccoco Botanicals – Sulfur Mask (amazing for spot treatments – pimples gone in a day!)
- Herbivore Botanicals – Brighten Wet Mask
- Tata Harper – Resurfacing Mask
- Sahajan – Brightening Mask
- Josh Rosebrook – Cacao Antioxidant Mask
- Beautycounter – The Clean Deo (coconut is my favorite)
- Kaia Naturals – Charcoal Deodorant
- Agent Nateur Uni – Natural Deodorant
Shampoo + Conditioner:
Hair Masks/Hair Oil:
- The Innate Life – basically all products
Tooth Paste / Floss / Mouthwash
- Sundays Studio – All products. Love the nail kits!
- Kosas – Revealer Super Creamy + Brightening Concealer (Ive tried SOOO many – this one WORKS!)
- W3ll People – Bio Correct Multi-Action Concealer
- Ilia – True Skin Serum Foundation
- Beautycounter – Skin Twin Featherweight Foundation
- Kosas – Cloud Set Baking Setting & Smoothing Powder
- Antonym Cosmetics – Baked Foundation
- Beautycounter – All Over Bronzer (NOTHING compares)
- Westman Atelier – Lit Up Stick (Nectar is my fave)
- Ilia – Limitless Mascara duhhhhh
- Lily Lolo Eyebrow Duo – Powder (apply with small eyebrow utensil)
- Beautycounter – Sheer Genius Conditioning Lipstick (Pearl and Petal)
This concludes all the beauty products I use daily! I feel like I am somewhat of a minimalist and even so – this list is extensive! It just goes to show how much product we put on our bodies’ everyday without maybe even realizing it. Choosing safer beauty products will have a positive impact on your health <3